The specs are in.
And they're fabulous.
What? Olaiya's got glasses? Since when?!
I'll tell you.
A year and a half ago, we set aside a chunk of change in Flex spending for orthodontic work we thought Olaiya would have this past year.
It didn't happen. You know, the whole impressions scene, Round 2...it didn't go well.
So a couple weeks ago with the 2009 deadline pending, we were all, so um, what medical appointments and expenses could we quickly incur? Yeah, eye appointments. We haven't had those in a while.
And low and behold, via being pushed to schedule "extraneous"appointments, we discover Olaiya needs glasses. Has needed glasses. Probably has needed glasses for over a year.
That makes you feel like you're doing your job. And simultaneously causes you to thank the Lord for his grace and provision. Seriously, where we would have been if we hadn't had "money to spend"?
The optometrist was super consoling/encouraging, saying that it was the right time to bring her in - she's in Kindergarten, starting to read, right before her birthday, etc. The only indication we'd ever had was when after seeing a Charlie and Lola episode about glasses, where Lola wishes she were getting glasses like her classmate, Olaiya said something about maybe needing glasses. I chalked it up to pining like Lola. Solid work, mom.
Anyway, our girl has an astigmatism. I got to "try out" her eyes - I'd describe it as everything being a bit hazy. Not crisp. I couldn't believe that's what her world has looked like for who knows how long!
So we got the girl two pairs of glasses. Mama was all excited about plastic, hipster-y frames. Olaiya was excited about pink. We both got to win! My favorites came in first. She likes the "rainbow polka dots". I like them all of them - they frame her hazel eyes but have Skittles-like fun on the sides. Her first choice pair - pink and purple wire rims with diamond-studded flowers on the arms - I'm sure will be coming soon to a blog post near you.
9 comments:
She still uses that purse! Awesome! I could make it in more muted colors if she wants another one, or a bigger one! That makes me smile!
Dude, it has been her favorite and most used purse ever since you gave it to her! If you wanted to send them over the moon, "cross body purses" in *any* colors would do it! (It's the preferred purse for both lady-babies!)
Maybe a birthday gift for the two girlies! I have upped my skill level a bit and now make matching coin purses to go in the purses! Are the sizes good, or bigger? What are the preferred colors?
She looks totally fab! Make sure to tell her I said so.
And remember, moms can't catch everything right when it occurs. Remember giant ringworm on blondies head 2009? UGH. No biggie, right?
MISS YOU!
*amazing*
that's all I got to say about those frames.
I need to get tired before I elaborate...
your iowa optometrist says, "Olaiya is stylin'!"
Maddi tries on frames every time she comes in...all in various shades of pink...hmmmm, might be a little girl theme here.
Chica,
The purses won't be finished and mailed by the girls' birthdays, but they will be a nice April present!
Woman! You're more than sweet! They will *love* them.
Post a Comment