Then Papi handed me an envelope. Olaiya said, "We all wrote our names on it!" This is what (the joint effort part of) it said:
Tara,
...I asked the girls a few questions while they were coloring these cards for you.
Papi: What's your favorite thing about mami?
Olaiya: I love her.
Papi: Okay, what part of mami do you like most? What is your favorite thing about mami?
Olaiya: I like to go everywhere with her -
Naomi: -PARK!
Papi: What about mami makes her so pretty?
Olaiya: Hmm...her hair. Her shirt -
Naomi: -Hair clips!
Olaiya: Dad what do you like best about mom?
Naomi: Fave part! What favorite part!?
Papi: I like mami's hair too, but my favorite part is her eyes and smile.
Olaiya: Oh, I like drawing for her.
Papi: Where is your favorite place to go with mami?
Naomi: Mmm...C-S.
Papi: CVS?
Naomi: Yeh, CmmmS.
Papi: Olaiya, what do you want to tell mami on mother's day?
Olaiya: Umm...that I'm staying with her.
Papi: What else?
Olaiya: Umm...that I love her?
Papi: Naomi, what about you?
Naomi: Umm...dessert!
(Now for the Steve Lewis Special):
Papi: Olaiya, looking back on these past four years, what is mami's most important quality?
Olaiya: Umm...she loves me!
Papi: Naomi, thinking about these last two years-
Naomi: No...
Papi:-what's mami's most important quality?
Naomi: Flowers.
The Papi added his favorite things about me as a mom (which was an *awesome* gift for this "Words of Affirmation" gal). *And* he got us tickets for two to a CARDS-Nats game, at the new stadium! Woowoo! Olaiya asked if they could get me flowers (from our azalea bush) and I remembered back in the day where all the moms at Sharon Presbyterian church would have corsages on for Mother's Day. So I asked the girls if they'd like me to wear them, and I got an affirming, "Yes!". That inspired this mama to wear matching pretty pink dress to church (versus the standard jeans and top), flower in my hair.
Afterwards we went with our friends the Paradisos to Dogfish Head Alehouse (what, didn't you take your mom to a brewpub for Mother's Day?) and had a lovely, despite kids-crawling-everywhere, time.
Must be the mamas. 6 of 11 people all in a 2 person space.
Delia, Julie, Naomi, Tara, Olaiya and Bella
Then on the way home, Olaiya composed this little ditty*.
(*Caution- may be excessively long and meandering for even the relational set. The memory card actually filled up. Yes, that's Naomi cleaning the straw from her milk cup.)
Today she's with her mama in Missouri, but Mommy, thank you for also possessing "the most important quality". I love you and wish you were near. Love, Tara June
5 comments:
Wow Tara! What a fun day! My girls want to watch the video over and over and I just laugh!! How wonderful. :)
Love it! Love Olaiya's stream-of-conscious tribute to mothers, especially with the spiritual Alleluiahs and Amens thrown in. Love it!!
So I almost spit milk out of my nose when O got to the Alleluia part. I see Tara in that girl! - Stacia
yeah for great kids and a great hubby to celebrate you! and I like the idea of having the kids answer questions about why you rock. :) -LIz
Wow! Go Kurt! You must feel super full of love, Tara. You have a good man.
Olaiya (Taraita) -- which I'm hoping translates to "little Tara" in Espanol, since gatto and gattito works like that -- is a cool cat with good answers to the papi's questions.
Post a Comment