Supergirl, super princess. Two adjectives to describe our children? No. One double-birthday bash theme.
Olaiya, for months, maintained she wanted a Batgirl Birthday. Has she ever seen a bat girl? Heard of Batgirl? (Hold up, is there such a thing? Geeks, let me know.) I have no idea. But in the final hours (read, weeks), I'm guessing with some mama-prompting, it morphed into Supergirl. Supergirl I've seen. Supergirl I've heard of. Supergirl has pink plates that are available at our local party store. Yes.
Naomi on the other hand, was unwavering in her desire for a princess party. Re-branded as Super Princess and we've got a birthday party theme that a mama can roll with. Why is this important? It's not. Truly. Does it make the mama feel cohesive and coordinated and confident in what she's doing? Yes. So imagine my excitement when at the party store Naomi goes for not a Princess plate (i.e. Cinderella, Ariel and the whole Princess posse), but a very cute and whimsy, exuding-superness, princess plate. Love it. There's a picture. Look for it.
Now let me enter a disclaimer: I have two children, both girls, with birthdays a day apart.
When we do a birthday, we do a birthday.
It's one hoe-down, one par-tay, una fiesta. So bring on the cupcakes, let's pick a pinata, we're having a party.
So I do not feel like a crazy person - okay, at times I asked Kurt if I was a crazy person - when I decide that making capes and crowns would be the primary party activity/party favors.
Since children and sewing shears are not the best combination, this had the mama (and the papa - yeah, Kurt's my hero) cutting up lots of pink, purple, red and black felt and fabric. (Black? It's a co-ed party folks - our little neighbor boy probably isn't to jazzed about the pink-on-pink superhero scene.) Thankfully I did not have to come up with patterns of my own - my infinitely craftier and super-resourceful friend linked me up to the coveted cape shape and emblem outlines. The felt worked magically for the super emblems and pinking shears are a sew-less mama's best friend.
Naomi again stood firm in that she did not want a cape, but just a crown. Lucky me, my friend Steph had the hook up for those too! I chose to make a girlier style, but the double-felt action holds up well.
With eldest now in the land of preschool where birthday invitations come by the dozen, this year's guest list had me stressed. Back in the day when it was really a family affair - high on adults, food, beverage and conversation, low on li'l friends, candy, games and crazy - who was coming required little thought.
Olaiya and I chatted through it all, and despite some sadness (on both her and mama's part), we figured out a well defined group of preschool buddies. Naomi Jean was easier:
"Naomi, do you want to invite anyone else?"
"No, just Deli' (Delia) -- She's my best friend."
Read, her only, we-hang-out-with-regularly, same age friend.
Ah, the plight of the youngest.
Ultimately, it was 15 chil'ens at the Lewis household. And it was raining. Hey, we're not scared. Papi did an impressive job of rigging up the pinata
Amazingly, the two hours flew by - we didn't have enough time to finish everything! So that feels good. And Kurt, who was sure that it would all be a disaster, proudly told the mama she did well.
And when doesn't that make a girl feel good?
A shoe bench, an ottoman, and a coffee table totally make a party table.
Current favorite colors - displayed in cupcake and dress.
5 comments:
Is there a Batgirl?!? Stop by next time you guys are in town and I can educate you :-)
Yeah, I remember seeing Batgirl merchandise, but I wasn't sure if it was part of the story of the Batman Universe, or if it was a marketing gimmick.
Tara did really, really well with the party, and that was all her! I cut some squares of fabric to turn into capes, but she was the one with the plan and the energy; I mostly tried to poke holes in both--not my finest husband performance. It really was quite a sight and the activities kept everyone excited and moving around, so the house didn't feel like it had 15 high-speed extras. We are almost totally recovered from the party, but it was worth it.
way to go girl!! the mere thought of kid birthday parties exhausts me!
can you believe our March girlies are 5??!!
Tarababy....I am overwhelmed by your awesomeness!!! This party looks like a rock out drag out super time and your braveness shocks me. I have yet to agree to massive quantities of chillins in my home. My day is coming. You are an awesome Mom! I'm proud of you friend!!!
I agree with above sentiments that you are amazing. The thought of that many kids, and organizing the activities, and making sure people don't get hurt, and...it all sends shivers down the spine of this soon-to-be papa.
Post a Comment