April 12, 2009

Rainy eggs


We go to a "rain or shine" church.

The sweet and studly volunteers at NCC go hard, or go home, as demonstrated yesterday by a park lawn strewn with wet, candy-filled, bright plastic eggs.

At 9:30a with the weather at 48 degrees and raining, I checked into the Easter Eggstravaganza Facebook page. The chatter was all signs go. Um...yay?

This is when I realized my children do not own raincoats.

I grew up in Iowa. Now I don't know about the rest of you, but raincoats, slickers, etc. were seemingly extravagant, something that your parents indulged you for one spring in your childhood.

Mine was purple.

I was 8.

So at ages five and three, my children have yet to possess raincoats. But now that we're "Out East" and technically live in the South, days appropriate for a lightweight rain jacket are more frequent. Spring is a real season. One with cherry blossoms, weeks of 50 degree weather, and practically zero threat of April snow.

Anyway, my children wore my raincoats - the two things I've collected in my 30 years that qualify as water-resistant. They were color-coordinated and cover from head to toe. Naomi could barely bare her hands to pick up eggs, but she worked it out.

So despite my inner-desire for the everyone to roll over and succumb to the rainy-day weather, I'm full of gratitude for the volunteers who got up early and headed out into the rain to place thousands of eggs (like 20,000 over three locations!) out in the wet grass. The day perfectly kicked off our Easter weekend, where though we were far from family, we were very much at home with our Church.

Awaiting the "hunt" with the crew Paradiso

Naomi was not about the bunny.

Go!

Love the blurry background boot


Yay! paved park path on a wet and muddy day

Naomi got hooked up with some post-hunt, heart-shaped nose and whiskers


5 comments:

The Fam said...

Happy Easter Lewises! Yeah, the favorite thing growing up in Iowa was actually hoping it was warm enough to just go out and get soaked! Forget the raincoat, I think the main one I had was the one you had to wear on patrol at school! I did like umbrellas though, especially if it was windy enough to blow it hard enough to lift you up off of the ground!

Unknown said...

I love the raincoats! That's exactly what makes you such a fabulous mother...improv. Mwah!

Abbie said...

It's all perspective - after growing up in semi-arid western Nebraska and then moving to Iowa for college I discovered that I NEEDED a raincoat or umbrella or both after getting rained on and soaked for my first week of college! So now that we live in the eastern-er part of Kansas, I do actually buy raincoats for my kids and they wear them lots during fall and spring! But we had nice weather for our egg hunting!

Liz V, www.livingtheology.net said...

yeah for easter! super good pics - hope you guys had a great (wet) weekend. :) love to you

Global Future said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.