October 15, 2009

Last tastes of summer

Hello!

It's been awhile. We're yet accustoming to the schedule of school. Every other day is something to get the hang of. And, you know, getting acquainted with the DC rush hour in which I had heretofore not participated. But it's good. I have several posts I'm working on, but have had this one on the back burner in favor of school starting, babies being born, and sadly, just straight up not having a chance to blog.

A week ago it was 85 and I was on a field trip wearing a tank top. Yesterday I wished I had a stocking cap on for lunch duty (the kiddos get to eat outside in the school courtyard nearly every day! How great is that?)! So, as the weather yields to colder temperatures, rain and yes, snow for many of those near and dear, a tribute to the last of what was potentially the most fun summer I've had yet.

Our last swim with the Caters at the end of August before they left for an 09-10 sabbatical in Michigan!


Mid-afternoon smoothies on the stoop.

Olaiya so excited to be boarding with her pal Symon.

Training wheels for Naomi! Go get 'em sis!

Our first ice cream truck purchase ever! Clever, clever driver arriving exactly at pool break time. How do we not?

Naomi's bomb-cicle, or whatever it was called, looked like it would have her outmatched, but the sweltering temperatures were on her side, and her popcicle was everywhere else.

How luscious are these? We got acquainted with our neighborhood farmer's market this summer. They even had Peaches and Cream sweet corn...which we made a ritual pairing with Five Guys burgers and fries. So very crunchy of us, I know.
The death, proceeding the resurrection of, our car. We were headed to watch Harry Potter on a sweet big screen when the power steering went out and the lights and alarms started going off. Kurt managed to man-handle the vehicle into the District, with a wide open spot awaiting us right next to his building and the car hemorraging green liquid into the gutter. Our date ended with a tow truck ride to the shop and discovering my first favorite beer at 7-11 on the walk home. Blue Moon HoneyMoon strolling in 'hood on a sultry summer night? Perfect.
Post title and this photo...too much?

2 comments:

ModFarmhouse said...

Can you believe THOSE two girls are YOUR girls? They are beautiful and amazing.

and... POW! Way to put an exclamation point on summer '09!

Unknown said...

I just LOVE everything about you and your adorable family! What a summer woman! Can't wait to see you TODAY!!! Yeeehaw!