June 7, 2011

Mastilda

My dear niece Josie gave M one of her most apropos and oft used nicknames: Mastilda.

(Here's where Spanish-teacher-Tara puts her arm around the shoulder of everyone.)

M
ás means more in Spanish.

And if you've seen Matilda, she's a whole lotta love.


And therein, the brilliance.

Today, I'm giving you more of my nine month-old girl. 'Cause when a mama is far from family, I'm pretty constantly thinking of how she is growing and wanting to provide front row seats for our people despite the distance.

Bathtub Matilda - 9 months from Tara Lewis on Vimeo.


Due to her massing, M needed to move on up, trading in the mini crib of her youth...



for the crib of her elders.


Douglas! Look! Room for the both of us!

These photos were the first time she had ever sat in her bed. Because I set her there. These days, as in the past two weeks, her goings-to-sleep are hampered by her ability to protest herself into sitting. Where she's kind of stuck, because she's mad and doesn't want to lay down quietly. Before this new nap time hiccup, she discovered another way to clearly protest pending sleep - throwing her pacifier. Strong enough to pull the abused plastic tether from her clothes, she plucks it from her lips and defiantly thrusts it over my shoulder, or over the crib rail, to the hardwood, where with the tether, it makes a contemptuous clatter. Sometimes I find it funny. That's typically when it's daylight. At o'dark thirty when I'm fumbling around on the floor with one hand and have a pissed baby in the other? No, I've never wanted to throw her.

Two developments from this week:

1. She thinks standing is awesome. Floor space in our 900 square foot, three level row house you could say is limited, so I kind of retired the Exersaucer early, obliging Matilda to work on her sitting skills. Which, like a pellet-bottomed, kitschy mantle-decorating doll, are well, well honed. But some quality floor time with Mom and Pops has her seeing the world from new heights.

2. She plays catch with me. I have three daughters. (I don't know if I've ever typed that out before. Whoa. Still realizing that I am a mother of three. Again, not sure how many times I've made that statement either! I'm really quite self-aware.) I attempt to drive home that mama loves to play catch. Hit, roll, toss, or pass objects back and forth. I 'spose because I have two brothers, this is how you hang out together! You play catch! It's fun! It's relational! You get to chat and see each others' smiling faces! However, this is far, far from the first thing my children are gaming to do any given day. At ten o'clock this morning, our first day of summer with no where to be, we were out on the lawn. Tossing the old pigskin? No. Polishing nails. Pink. I think it was Tutti Fruitti. It's a good one. Now I'm not saying that if I asked they would totally deny me, it's just not a commonly coveted activity. (And honestly, I wouldn't have traded that Quality Time with Nomes for anything!) However, when Matilda Dean is pursuing our, yes, pink prismatic ball and then, when I sit down opposite her, she picks it up with her little hands and purposefully releases it in my direction? Love it! And then when I roll it back to her she does it again? This is a good time.

So though this nickname should perhaps fade as MD's waistline decreases and her awareness increases, I have a feeling that as time continues to flash by, my desire for Mastilda posts could be prolific.

Buuut until that time, I leave you with my hands down, favorite shot to-date of my dear babe's plush.


7 comments:

melanie said...

"At o'dark thirty when I'm fumbling around on the floor with one hand and have a pissed baby in the other? No, I've never wanted to throw her."
oh dear, have i been there. we have carpet, so i usually couldn't even hear the pacifier clatter when it fell.

and this mama-with-no-brothers has grown (slowly) to enjoy playing catch ... a little ... with my two little jocks. but i'd still take a trade for a couple hours: you come up here and pitch a wiffle ball to eager batters, and i'll head down and paint some nails. or choose the loveliest clothes for barbies. or color for longer than 14 seconds. what else do girls do? i can't remember anymore :-)

Abbie said...

Love it, love it! It's so good for me to see you enjoying your babes and to go do the same with mine!

Both to you (all girls) and Mel (only boys) it really IS incredible how different boys and girls are, even taking into account the differences in personality! And even then, boys like to dress up, girls play catch and dig in the mud. :)

Liz V, www.livingtheology.net said...

LOVE those big, rolly-polly-thighs on that baby girl! :) fabulous.

Unknown said...

I just love you. I love your writing. I love your babies. I love your perspective. I just can't get enough. Come on July!

Tara said...

Oh, I feel like I'm getting to hang out with you guys, even if for just a short bit!

Melanie, thanks for identifying with what I was nearly scared to put out there. And totally laughed at the "14 seconds". Indeed, the art scene here is pretty hot and heavy. And today I braided 4 inch Rapunzel's 8 inch, gnarly hair.

Abbie, your mama words are so sweet and affirming!

Liz! Any chance we'll get to see you guys in July in MN??

Mel, those words are a huge honor coming from you, babe. Bring on July INDEED!

trump said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Fam said...

Funny, Laura was built kind of like her, especially in the thighs! So cute, miss you guys, hope you will stay dry this weekend....