May 23, 2011

As old as the school year is long


Matilda Dean is 8 1/2 months old.

And Olaiya has 9 days left of first grade.

Naomi graduates from preschool in fewer days than that.

Time, though always strange and elusive, here deep in May, it has my head straight up spinning.

Maybe it was the fact that I took my overdue self in to be induced the first day school and life has been a blur of carpooling and nursing ever since. And maybe because of the carpooling and nursing, unlike the year before, I did not have the large blocks of regular classroom hang time with Olaiya, so I find myself sad and shocked that the year is already gone. And maybe because of the preschooling and the 1st-grading, I am astounded that I am on the doorstep of having a nine month-old. Consistently, I find myself looking down at Matilda, her plush arms on my chest, wanting to hold onto her baby-ness with both hands, unbelieving that my typical nursing clock is just over 3 months from winding down. Right now, the flight of days makes a mama want to cry.

So I am thankful that this fall will find my two big girls at the same school! No more be-bopping back and forth between school start and end times in two different towns. Co-oping hours all under one roof! Two girls. One school. Awesome. I still haven't wrapped my brain around Naomi Jean being in school. Like real school. Uniform and everything. Maybe at the Kindergarten Orientation this week the reality will hit. Or maybe it won't be until the first time she puts on that plaid jumper.

But back to MD.

In the past two weeks, either a) I have just learned how to talk to and appreciate my baby and realized that she is a person or b) Matilda's personality has come out of hiding. Or incubating.

She breaks into a huge smile when her sisters walk into a room.

She waves "hi" on command, bending her hand at the wrist toward herself.

She waves her arms in the air to confirm my query of "All done?"

When we say "Yay!" she claps.

When we laugh, she chuckles in reponse.

When we dance, she throws her hands in the air.

And when we sing, she slurs her baby babble together into melody.

My dad has always said that eight months is the best age. And I'm beginning to think he's right.
(No hard feelings, six month-old Matilda?)

High chair = food = happy Matilda = videoed Matilda*

Matilda song and clap - 8 months from Tara Lewis on Vimeo.

Dinner with Matilda from Tara Lewis on Vimeo.

*Despite being #3, this is my first baby far from home. So I have been videoing her a lot. I have more videos to share, but they aren't yet uploaded. So Gramma and Grampa, Grandma and Grandpa, look for more soon and know that I am always, always, thinking of you. Love, Tara

1 comment:

Kurt said...

I am a little bummed that I now have to log into facebook to see what people are saying about my wife's blog. Just another reason why facebook is evil....

Since I get this comment space all to myself now, let me say that I love that picture at the top of the post. It is my new background at work and a good capture of our girl right now. I really appreciate that technology has come so far that we can easily keep these memories around for when they are older. You do a great job of documenting our girls, all three of them, and I need to make sure to keep you rich in high-tech devices so we can keep this up! I love you.