April 14, 2011

Naomi Jean


Naomi Jean is five! For her, the number of candles that she blew out on her cake isn't what blows me away. It's how much she has grown since we moved here. She was a baby when we moved here. A baby! A no-words, toddling-around, could-just-wear-a-barrette-in-her-hair, baby. And now she's big. Seriously! She's all 75% in height, which is shocking and encouraging given her mama that went from toddler-giant to smallest-in-her-Kindergarten-class at this exact age. 'Cause yeah, Naomi goes to Kindergarten this fall. She's gone from 15 month-old baby girl to school age. All here in Virginia. Pondering it makes me consistently emotional and I stand beside myself when I look those early-on photos and now at her pretty girl face.

Naomi Jean giggles. And laughs. And the sound that her smile makes may be my absolute favorite on this earth. Physical comedy gets her every time. Watching her watch Bambi is one of my favorite films.

This girl is tenacious. I think the Nomenation quote that will forever stick with me is when she was learning how to ride on two wheels just after she turned four. She fell over onto the curb and said, "I just need to do more of it, right?" Her determination flows over into what she creates. With a big sister that's always been a draw-er and craft-maker, Naomi has long been artsy. I feel like not until preschool this year did I realize just how detail-oriented, focused and particular she can be. And the girl enjoys herself some pattern in her details. Once on a letter she sent my dad, she started drawing hearts on the envelope. She drew them in black marker and colored them in red. Dad got the letter and called me, chuckling. "Do you know how many hearts she drew on this envelope? Ninety-five!"

Nomes is a cuddler. Again, I am not far enough in my book, but I'm narrowing it down to Quality Time and Physical Touch for this one. And I get it. Ask any of my friends or people who met me yesterday; they will tell you I am a hugger. A person who draws people in. So when Naomi asks at 8:32 pm if I want to play hair salon and I am the client? You bet your sweet bippie she's not going to bed. She's smart - she knows how to play her cards. She likes to rock. She likes to do hair salon. And these are things this mama understands.

Naomi likes pretty. Rhinestones. Sequins. Sunsets. Frills. Shiny things. She and her great-grandma are two peas in a pod. Jewelry, fancy dresses of velvet, taffeta and organza? They can't get enough of them. I love hearing Naomi say, "Oh, it's beautiful!" 'When I get to be on the receiving end of her admiration? That takes the cake.

First day of getting to stay for lunch after preschool last week. She was so excited! Check out the Naomi NeaJ on her lunch box.

My hands down, favorite video of all time. Ever. I've been waiting, waiting for Matilda to laugh like this. Naomi was just shy of seven months here! And now you see what Matilda is up against.

My brown-eyed girl, I love you, Naomi Jean.

2 comments:

Kurt said...

You've nailed it again, she is our determined little lady! I love that picture up top. That is her element: outdoors, dressed like a princess...with her shoes "untied". She is in too big a hurry to velcro those things down.

She reminds me of Tara a lot, and she is growing up fast.

Abbie said...

I LOVE that video - and baby laughs. And toddler laughs. And preschooler laughs, too. My favorite way to get us all out of a crabby mood is to tickle the kids until we're all rolling on the floor!

I wish I could see your girls grow in person ... :)