December 20, 2007

Living out East?

I thought we were moving Out East. And yes, we do live closer to the Atlanic than I have ever before and yes, we are a hop, skip and a jump from places like Philly and NYC. But really at the end of the day, we live in Virginia. Virginia, boys and girls, is in the South. It's Southern. This may read like the beginning of a rant, which, okay, it is...just a little. But really it's just me becoming aware of my geographical spot in the universe. Eastern Seaboard conjures images of blizzards in Boston, cold New York streets, and um, any other chilly images you can think of? etc. But as I'm learning firsthand, and from Wikidpedia (I did research! That qualifies, right?), as we live 7 miles *south* of the White House, in Virginia, we do not qualify.

So I once again assert that we indeed do live in a season-less spot of the almost Eastern corridor. I ran errands without a jacket today, we went on a wagon ride tour of the neighborhood the day before, and the leaves from our maple tree just finished falling this week (and I'm realizing the vacuum truck's last pass was yesterday...rut-roh :( ). And really, I'm not complaining - I like fall. It's my favorite. Running around in hoodies and cute jackets into the New Year - right on. But this is weird for me - I was born in a blizzard. No kidding. January of '79 had my papa walking 2 miles from the highway on our gravel road to get to our house, with Mom (and then baby), safely taken to the hospital pre-storm. Big bro Scot got to hang out with the Jurys for a few days and make really cool snow tunnels. There was so much snow that roofs of hog buildings were collapsing and some local high schoolers came to shovel off the snow and did some shovel-sledding off the roof while they were at it. Anyway, point being, I've *always* liked snow. Not cold, sub-zero temperatures and cut-through-you winds, but definitely snow. And I've *always* maintained I couldn't live somewhere without the four seasons. And don't get me wrong, that's not the case here - in the summer it's HOT, in the fall the leaves are gorgeous, and apparently we've got some pretty hot cherry blossoms come spring. But as for winter winter, like you all are experiencing back home with its scary roads and massive quantities of snow and ice - I'm just reading about it in headlines.


Playing in the leaves


Raking the leaves


Eating the leaves

5 comments:

Jerry Steele said...

I would submit that you are not in the South until 1) people call you Yankee, and 2) you can expect to get Sweet Tea in any restaurant. Head down to Richmond, and you are in the South. They're still a little sore over that whole Civil War thing...

Sarah said...

I was going to say the same thing. In Richmond and Petersburg they still fly the confederate flag on their front porch!

Unknown said...

My year in Iowa took some adjusting. There was a drinking fountain in Beardshear hall that had two faucets. Being from the South I thought to myself "that must be a relic from the days of segregation". Then I realized "I'm North of the Mason-Dixon line. They didn't have segregation. It's just a weird drinking fountain."
There are significant differences that you will continue to notice. One thing you need to know is that a "Coke" is not always a Coca-Cola. It is a generic term for a pop (as you Iowans call them).

Terri said...

Sorry to be a purist...but you are now SOUTH of the "Mason-Dixon" line. And sweet-tea or not, you are technically in the south, baby!
:)

~jill said...

South or not I sympathize with no snow - here I thought moving to wyoming I would be taking newborn on sledding adventures (I *love* snow as well)...not to be, all that's in my backyard is dirt, so count your blessing at least you've got pretty leaves to play with, despite having color (vs white)! =)