December 7, 2007

A day in with the girls

Correction - winter is here. It arrived Wednesday in the form of cold temperatures and snow! And this girl was lovin' every second. As subtly indicated in previous post, I was beginning to fear that we now resided in some sort of season-less (no offense big bro the San Diegan) spot of the Eastern corridor. The snow went from itty-bitty, almost snowflakes, to big wet flakes, to the ultra sparkly, looks-like-fake-mall-snow flakes. It was really pretty...and comforting.

Today the girls and I continued the battle against the pile of boxes in our living room. Once conquered, our prize is...space for a Christmas tree! The motivation is great. Mama's also hoping to score a trip to IKEA out of the deal (we're going vertical...floor to ceiling shelves, anyone?). An empty dish pack (i.e. thick, sturdy, and with handles) box thus presented itself today. And here's where I tell you I foresee that my girls will be of the non-squeamish, take-me-to-the-Tilt-a-whirl type o' gal. It started off low-key enough - girls in the box, me hauling them "to the North Pole", sliding them back and forth on the hard wood floors. Then I started to spin them on the turns. With the lids all closed, mind you. Then, wanting to shake it up a bit, Olaiya said, "Turn us into toys!" and a new thrill was needed. That's when the side-to-side tilting of the box began. Me, hands in handles, alternately dropping the sides of the box to the floor, twisting and jerking, and them laughing hysterically. Rounds of that went on for a good half hour. Finally I said we had to be done and they wanted me to get in the box . I did. And nooo thank you. Hey, I like an upside down roller coaster, tea cups, and whatever else, but closed, hot - okay, maybe just me from the workout - cramped box? Uh uh. And they were not very successful in turning mom into a toy - "Mom! It's too big!"

In the after glow of the box riding, Naomi learned to say Olaiya! She's said "Ya-ya" for awhile, and a few weeks ago could say, "Go-waiya" (go Olaiya), but today could say "Owaiya" by itself. Never mind that she has to be prompted to say "'omi"...I'm sure it too will randomly present itself.

Speaking of "Gowaiya", Olaiya's in swimming lessons. The first one was highly anticipated - new on clearance swimsuit, taking her Dora towel in her Dora backpack, getting her own locker key, and a class with two other little girls within two week of her birthday. She did well, performing all the requested tasks. Out of the pool, she was excited and chatty with the girls. On the way home however, sadness set in. "I didn't want to put my face in the water." Week Two - mama's in New Jersey so Papa's got to take daughter to the pool. Apparently all was swell, but the moment they hit the pool deck, a switch flipped and she fruck out. Tears, clinging, wailing, the whole nine yards. She did not get in the pool that day.

Fast forward two weeks because we're in the midwest and miss two lessons. Week Four - we gear up. Olaiya and I plan "Movie Night Monday" where we will return victorious from the Y to eat chili in the basement as a family, watching the recorded Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas and celebrating a happy swim lesson, complete with an ice cream cone with a candle on top. We walk to the Y. We see a pretty Christmas tree in the entrance. We get our key. We get ready in the locker room. All's happy and bright. Then I open the door to the pool - and the switch flips. Having not personally witnessed this phenomena, I'm shocked and annoyed. This is decidedly not a happy swim lesson. Do we just go home? What about our grand plans? No reminding of said plans persuades her. "I just don't wanna have ice cream." Do we not have an enjoyable evening as a family because my daughter's afraid of the water? NO, we may not eat, drink, and be merry - you don't like the pool. Sigh. In steps veteran swim mom. She's seen this before. She gets the aquatic director who begins the protocol (of which I'm unaware). She tells the still hysterical Olaiya, "Do you want to go get a toy from my office?" and gestures for me to step away from the still wailing child and head to the observation window. I watch as she cradles Olaiya poolside, while the other two girls continue with lesson as usual. Then I see Olaiya's legs join hers in the water. Then kicking the water. And with about 5 minutes left in the lesson, Olaiya's IN the water...and laughing. Saved! It's a Happy swim lesson! Woowoo! Swimming lesson was over and Olaiya got out and waved enthusiastically up to the equally excited Mama. On the walk home we picked up some Party Cake Ice cream and Olaiya told me, "I had to do three things Mama - stop crying, kick my legs, and get in the water, and I did all of them!" Who knew the "Go ahead - they'll be fine" approach applies to more than church nursery? Not this mama. We've got a lot of experiences ahead of us.

In my excitement, I rushed out to take some pics and didn't catch the white actually covering things. They even delayed school two hours the next morning! (Dying to insert some snide Midwestern they-don't-know-how-to-drive-in-snow comment here, but I don't really know how it was, and yes, I've driven off the road before in light snow.) You can see a bit more in the back of this pic, Us v. the boxes. Yeah, that's Olaiya coloring.





4 comments:

ModFarmhouse said...

Yahoo for OWIYA getting in the pool. Let her know I think she is a rock star, and that Boots would love to be her sidekick, too!

Happy White Christmas to you-
Pearl

Anonymous said...

Wow,
I tried to sign in before and was not able to do it. I really enjoy seeing all of your pictures and being able to feel a part of your life. I remember all the toys and how much fun little kids were.
Cherish each day.
Love,
Joyce

sarajosteele said...

Hey--we really miss you here in Iowa City! It's so fun to see what you're up to. It's a great way to get new ideas for playing with Taly--we've had some fun with boxes too. Right now we're into drawing on brown packing paper. Hey! We're recycling! Love you...

Winter Peck said...

Hi Tara,

Wanted to drop you a line and say hi. Been a long time since we've seen each other, ISU in 2000 I believe. I had twins at the time, you got to babysit. I'm up to and ended at four, the twin boys, my only daughter and another boy.

Your girls are adorable. Enjoy this time, they do grow up fast. My twins turn 9 in Feb and I barely remember what it was like to hold them in my arms. While it's great to be out of the diaper stage of life, some days I wish I could go back. Oh, the joys of growing up and inserting your independence.

Stop by my blog sometime and see what the Peck family is up to. <}:^)

Winter Peck
http://elasah.com/rodeosuspense/