February 26, 2008

Weekday update - the mama view*

*This account contains several images graphic (read, disgusting) in nature. If you prefer a less gross, cut-to-the-chase summary of the following events, please enjoy the Papa Update.

The girls have been sick the past two weeks. It started with Naomi inexplicably heaving in her crib. Dinner had been a thrown together combination of a late afternoon orange followed by evening taquitos. Yum-my. Kurt dealt with all of it once they'd been tossed. Yes, he's my hero. While Kurt was downstairs figuring out where to go with the laundry chunkiness, he wanted Naomi to sleep with me. I protested (who can sleep with the imminent threat of hurling next to you?) but learned from his vast experience with technicolor yawn that you just need to contain it, even if that means taking one (actually several) in the cleavage, which to Kurt's pride, I did. Youngest got bigger in my eyes that evening - it was something about how she didn't whine or cry about getting sick and seeing her stand there with her two little hands on the rim of the porcelain throne. Anyway, she woke up fine the next morning, so we weren't sure what happened.

Fast forward six days. Same time, same place, same gastrointestinal show. And again, fine the next morning. Snack and dinner that day? Grapes and burritos. So no more Mexican...preceded by citrus. Got it.

Fast forward nine days. Olaiya'd been feverish and not very interested in eating. Naomi was. They started puking in simulcast around 10p. Very quickly we figured out the shower gave us the best location for containing the vomit shrapnel and keeping the bedclothes casualties to a minimum, so they both went several rounds in the shower. As I was pushing puke chunks down the drain with my toes, I thought of writing a post titled Barf Wars, but soon had to dismiss that potential as I realized my lack of the requisite knowledge to present a post full of George Luc-esque analogies would have my husband, and some specific blog-reading friends, recommending that I spend some quality time surfing Wookieepedia (or at least see all the "original" movies from somewhere other than behind my couch, waiting for the ewoks to be back on) or indignantly yelling things at me like,"You had to look up the name of the director of Star Wars?" (no, I just had to think twice...and then Google it to check ;).

So instead, suffice it to say that I am almost through the piles of blankets, towels, pajamas, and various other types of puked-on apparel and back to base level laundry. Naomi bounced back quickly, but Olaiya did not. After five days of fever, we went to our first-since-Iowa doctor's appointment (yeah, we've missed a well baby check or so) and turns out Olaiya had her first round of strep throat. It laid her out. No eating and lots of sleeping, water chugging, night waking and fast breathing. But no coughing - I think I don't understand strep symptoms. So during the past ten days, she's been putting herself down for naps. That's *never* been the case and she dropped naps shortly after the paci (psssh, no more incentive) over a year ago. Sickness aside, it was endearing to see - a little girl knowing when to say when and announcing she's tired and going to bed. The less endearing was how she took her penicillin. Now, on Day 6, she's come a long way, but the first 9 doses or so were chased with water and non-stop banshee screaming of "Yucky! Yucky! Yucky!" Now she's taking it like a woman - no muss, no fuss. After eight days of not even exiting the house and only getting up to color, we went to church and small group on Sunday and had her last swimming lesson yesterday. She starts a dance class on Thursday! (Hopefully that won't involve tears and bribes like our last two weeks of swim class. :( )

And, I'm realizing most pivotally, as I felt able to bound out of bed this morning (once I'd reveled in Naomi's willing cuddliness) despite going to bed late after posting this: we're back to sleeping through the night. Truly magical.

So that's us, well, what's largely characterized our recent days. Please check Kurty's blog and check in on Anna - Nate and Lisa crave your prayers!

Olaiya in a couple of her self-made/appointed spots of slumber:


The basement floor with all of her bedding from upstairs and
the necessary lullaby of Nick Jr. Radio playing on the t.v.


Also with the Radio on, but between the
rocking chair and the wall where she'd built a fort
(actually, they're seldom forts - this one was "Grandma's house").


After her first day "back" from activities beyond sitting,
she and Naomi went through the house delivering Valentines
to various pieces of furniture. Behind them the labor of
love from the day before when Olaiya was
"coloring pictures for Daddy"- eight of them :)

4 comments:

Kate D said...

When I read your disclaimer I thought, "ooo, this is going to be good." haha! What does that say about me?

Yucky! Poor girlies. Poor parents! I'm glad they seem to be doing better.

Can I just say that they are SO CUTE--building "grandma's house," delivering valentines to furniture and coloring 8 pictures for Daddy! Adorable!

Zach said...

Heh, I would have enjoyed a Barf Wars post. I'm sure Kurt could be your consultant.

Kurt said...

Yeah, I like the Barf Wars idea too, I would have been a consultant, but I think her explanations wouldn't have been as much fun with me in the process. I don't remember as much from that night (the first one where both girls were blowing chunks) because it was just hours of me making trips up and down the stairs with towels, bedding and pj's in variable states of vileness. Tara did a great job that night keeping the girls calm, I was very proud. It is tough to fight the urge to back off when someone tosses their cookies.

Olaiya has been making more and more art, all of very pretty and increasing in complexity of colors. It's been fun to be on the receiving end of so many pretty pictures.

Foote Family said...

So glad everyone is feeling better. I admire both of you for not throwing up yourselves. That's always my inclination!