October 16, 2008

Firsts for the second



Did you all think I was completing eldest obsessed? That I'd dissed my littlest and determined there was nothing newsworthy? Not true. Just trying to make for easily digestible blog posts.

Speaking of digestible, Naomi is potty training (mmm, segue). We've come beyond the "I pee little quantities at a time" and she's actually keeping underwear dry for parts of the day. Parts of the day? That doesn't sound like real potty training. You're right. It's not. But that's totally due to a mom who has yet to let ushering her child to the toilet become her day-in, day-out goal. It's a function of *gasp* big sister being in preschool.

How can you outright encourage
second child syndrome?! That's atrocious.

Well, it's like this: on co-op days, for example, Naomi's dropped off and plays big sister to our friend and neighbors' baby girl Elsa. I know that Miss Anita could totally handle taking her to the bathroom, but I don't feel like saying, "Hey, you don't mind pee on your very nice and very expensive rug, right?" So Princess Pull-up it is.

On church days (yes, it's only once a week), I don't want to make our loving kids church volunteers deal with the additional responsibility of interpreting the stance and look-in-the-eye of my two-year old. Again, Pull-up. Nor am I excited at the eventuality of being on the Metro and stop-hopping in hopes of finding a nearby Starbucks (are there any Metro stops that have restrooms?) for the weeks when Daddy's doing set-up and production.

So, yes, basically what you're reading is that my life is easier when there's something absorbent on my daughter's bottom. Despite this laziness, she is making progress - yesterday afternoon (after I had carpooled and done crazy amounts of errand running during preschool - again, not an ideal time to take potty breaks) she told me three times that she had to go to the bathroom and only had slightly damp underwear the first time! Woohoo! Now that's progress. If she's in underwear, she makes sure to tell me what she needs. If she's in diaper-like drawers, she has no qualms about dampness or doing some busi'nas. Underwear provides that immediate repercussion she requires for motivation.

Long story short - if we had a Mommy and Naomi dictated schedule, we'd maybe be further along in our potty training efforts. Maybe.

Another first for Naomi is her unprecedented, unrivaled time with mama. Not saying that we do things earth-shatteringly different during those three hours that sister is gone, but there's definitely some more focused, one-on-one conversation and some more book reading than previously. So for that, I am happy. I feel like I'm treating her more as a growing up girl, and less the "baby". I frequently have to think back to "what was Olaiya doing at this age?" - not for purposes of outright comparison, but so I can remember what I should be challenging her with and what she just might be capable of. Because what ends up happening are things like this:

Mom: Naomi, do you want to play with this? (Hold up shape sorter, which I'm unsure I've ever sat down and done with her and I'm feeling simultaneously guilty and curious about her ability to do it.)

Naomi: Yes! (sits down) The square goes here...

So I'm hopeful that this will happen less? Or maybe it's okay if an achievement goes un-coached and un-documented? Whatever - I just want to be sure that I'm enabling the expansion of her mind (without drugs) and range of experience. That's all we're supposed to do, right?

Well, in addition to trying to instill in a solid foundation of morality, self-control and potty usage*.



Naomi with Baby Elsa during a reciprocal "play date".


An un-underwear moment.


*As written under the
Facebook Activities of college friend Katie. I pine to be as succinct and clever as she.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Here I am, hopelessly stalking your blog for the next post and here we are. Your picture of Naomi is greeting card worthy! Adorable as always. Best of luck to you on potty training, which does in fact seem like luck most of the time. My mom always reminded me during those times, "Have you ever seen a non-potty trained 10 year old?" No, I guess not. It can't last forever. :)

Kurt said...

For those of you who have known Kurt long term, yes, that is his teddy bear in the black-and-white photo of Naomi. Also, the photo at the top of this post is my favorite photo of Naomi, ever. I love that photo. to me, it is pure Naomi.

Abbie said...

Crazy how different it is with the second! Sounds like you're doing great. :) And I know you'll reach all your goals -you've kept the important ones!

ModFarmhouse said...

Noah just said Naomi's top picture looks like a postcard... and it does. Thanks for catching us up on Miss Naomi Part-time Underpants!! She is super super sweet and full of bug juice (as Chucker would say!)