October 13, 2008

Project Preschool

As previously posted, Olaiya's in preschool and she's loving it. She goes Monday- Thursday, but does not appreciate that her weekend starts early. This week she was all, "But I don't want Columbus Day off." Hmm, let's see how {insert non-Federal employee here} feels about that.

Her preschool is a cooperative (co-op) preschool, which means parents play an integral part. I get to be at school for a full day (9a-noon) once every two weeks. On these days, Olaiya is the co-op kid, which is a very coveted and highly anticipated status. The co-op kid gets to do all the special chores of the day - being line leader every time, pointing at important things like the days of the week with a yard stick during circle time, providing snack for her and her comrades, and doing show and tell.

On our first co-op day, rookie mama* was so consumed by snack duty that I failed to remember show and tell. So when teacher asked, "Olaiya, what did you bring for show and tell today?" I bolted up from my paint pouring which was cue enough for teacher Terri to quickly pick up the ball with, "Olaiya, what did you do this summer?" (Through which we discovered that teacher Terri and I were born in the same town in Iowa! This was comforting to the I'm-not-in-the-Midwest-anymore mama.) After school Olaiya said, "Mama, next time can I do a show and a tell?" Sure thing, baby.

The original link for the post title was (yes, heavily influenced by a girl who enjoys her Heidi Klum-led television) the project-prolific Olaiya. She's always enjoyed coloring, crafts, etc. but since recently acquiring the skill and know-how to track down materials and unleash paint containers herself, she's become a machine.

Case in point - here is a picture of her creations as of August 9:



Now, the same collection on September 10:



Preschool provides another outlet for her penchant for pictures, but this afternoon still produced a paper pumpkin and drawing of our house, complete with front yard bridge and pool (I never said these were grounded in reality). Our newly assembled cabinetry has a designated "projects shelf" and Olaiya calls the paper and Scotch taped wall at her bedside her museum. For her first show and tell, she chose three of her favorites (in addition to the requisite "see what cool toy I have"). We'll see what she brings on Monday...


Olaiya wanting to skip the tell and go straight for questioning.


Dad, for real.


And there's dancing in preschool!

*Did I mention after a week in, I'm a carpooling mom? Yep, using the van to it's meant-for capacity, with two car seats in the middle and three across the back. It's something to behold.

4 comments:

Abbie said...

I'd like to be able to help in Kate's preschool, but am not really up for any extra things to do right now! And I LOVE that she gets picked up by the bus. But I do feel like such a rookie at the whole school thing, too!

ModFarmhouse said...

Tell Olaiya she is TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL!! or maybe she is SUPER COOL AT SCHOOL!! Yep, I believe the latter is true. Loved her knee socks, and her craft projects, and her side pony tail. I guess I loved all of it and Naomi's legs in the dance photo!

Liz V, www.livingtheology.net said...

yeah for cool co-op school! and way to be creative Olaiya - I'll think of you when I see full mini vans T! :) AND - meant to write you a quick THANKS for the fab photo you sent. Your girls are gorgeous! we hope to see you at Xmas - think of you often... :) Liz

Unknown said...

Sounds like maybe your preschool worries shall become obsolete? What a gift to be able to participate in your child's preschool so often! I feel bad, at times, not being able to be that mom, but alas, we are all different. I'm so proud of you....rockin car poolin mama. Owww!