Today the President Elect was officially welcomed to a city near me. And I am thankful.
No, I do not hold our 44th president as a messiah. I am, however, excited about what his presidency means for our country socially, historically, and perhaps, mentally. And today I'm thankful I get to live in his neighborhood, because hey, there's quite the welcome wagon.
No, I do not hold our 44th president as a messiah. I am, however, excited about what his presidency means for our country socially, historically, and perhaps, mentally. And today I'm thankful I get to live in his neighborhood, because hey, there's quite the welcome wagon.
My wonderful, thoughtful, acts-of-service-guy husband stayed home with the chil'ens and the mama girl got to go play. This lucky girl got to connect with one of her college girls, an at least-eight-state Obama field worker, LibbyP and hop the Metro to the Mall. And there, got to meet up with the worship-team-leader-wonder Steph and children's-ministry-mama Tiffani.
So being on the Mall was cool - the Metro wasn't too crazy (helped by our tardiness) and the throng un-overwhelming. We were Usher-ed in and got to hear the President Elect address the people from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. Could I see the President? No. Was there at times a lag between the individual Jumbotrons both within seeing and hearing distance of where I stood? Yes. Did Beyonce throw off her peacoat to reveal a red, white and blue sequined dress and do the Single Ladies dance? No. Was the concert way shorter than we anticipated? Yes. And yet, this girl was thrilled to be there with people, both in the macro, this-is-a-historical-moment-and-I'm-here-to-experience-it and the micro, I'm-with-people-I-enjoy-and-care-about. Because I'm not gonna lie, I don't enjoy the former without the latter.
Libby, Steph and Tiffani - thank you for being up for an off-the-cuff trip to the Mall, for conversation using 50
Our view of the address. We were headed closer, to the reflecting pool, but the moment he began to speak, the entire crowd stopped in their tracks to listen.
The secondary attraction
Go 'State! (Representing in color...her hat is borrowed)
Post-concert, looking down 16th St.
My favorite location discovery on the walk to Union Station
Shaky shot of the site of the swearing in.
Tiffani, Steph and an excited Tara
Yep, that's a whole long, green row of them. Provisional fencing?
4 comments:
But when that whole area is more than packed full of people, it won't seem like nearly enough portapotties! I feel so removed from all things political, national, really everything outside my house ...
How cool! I was thinking about you yesterday as I watched the recap of events on the news. I wondered, "Did Tara make it there?" And the answer is most obviously YES! Good girl!
too cool.
Thanks for thinking of me! I had a blast. Way cute pic of us too. Can I use some of these for my blog?
tiff
Post a Comment