January 7, 2009

Oh, for snow



Yesterday, it rained.

Today it rained.

I officially miss the weather of the Midwest.

Not so long ago, I was posting status on Facebook, smugly reporting sixty-some-odd degree temperatures and worriedly wondering about road trip conditions...storms of ice, layers of snow, etc.

And now I pine for exactly those things.

Okay, so maybe not for icy roads, 'cause hey, unless you're in a parking lot with a boy who's got an e-brake at the ready, it's just not a good time. But seriously, this semi-cold, wet-all-the-time weather has got me down. Maybe it's because I'm three days into being home from two weeks in two states that have real winter. Maybe it's because this is my second winter in what I now know is a Southern state and it's settling in that snow is really the exception, not a rule. Maybe it's because I didn't so much unpack all the snow gear, so much as take it out of one bag and put it right into Rubbermaid storage.

Blah, blah, blah - Tara's still acclimating to living in Virginia.

Anyway, for as long as we got to be in it, our little family *loved* the snow. We arrived in Minnesota amidst a snow storm, and though tense (for driver Kurty), it was breathtaking. As we drove North from Illinois into Wisconsin (we did a straight west, straight north route, avoiding the feet of Lake-effect snow) things just gradually got whiter. I stopped short of pulling the cord on the DVD player (because anarchy = bad, 20 hours into a trip) but I was all, "Girls! Look at how pretty the trees are! Look at all the snow!" I had never seen the bluffs between Lacrosse and Rochester, and in those conditions, they were absolutely stunning.

It wasn't long before Kurt had the girls out in the snow. Naomi was a bit unsure of the hip-high whiteness and never lasted long, but Olaiya was in. And seeing the Papi playing with his girl in his native tundra will be a long-remembered highlight for this mama. With his snow-caked jeans and seemingly impervious-to-cold face and flesh, I feel like I've never seen him more in his own skin. Maybe Olaiya sensed it too. She never got cold, never got whiny and always wanted to stay out with Dad as long as possible. Daddy got to impart to her the age-old art of snow fort building, toss her in unblemished snow for angel-making, and take both his girls zipping down a hill.

All I can say - and I did, about five minutes into being outside at Steve and Linda's - it's a different world here.


Suit up.


Intro to Snow























(That's Uncle Nate zooming after Olaiya...and Zach and Naomi in their personal warming vans.)

7 comments:

David and Karen Danielson said...

What fabulous pictures!!!

We miss you! Come back when the pool's open for business so you can do season contrast pics!

Love,
Karen

ModFarmhouse said...

Hey! Love to hear your laugh in the movie. So glad you get to come home to snow... you have a great hubby that keeps you connected to the Midwest.

George said...

Tara!

see if you can find me on facebook
george ressler
network: kansas '11

good luck, because i am facebook search challenged...

also i used a picture of Olaiya to make a logo for a design project i did last semester which was well liked in my class.
check it out online at:
http://www.coroflot.com/public/individual_file.asp?individual_id=182174&portfolio_id=1840791&keywords=george+ressler&c=1&

hopefully that works!
hope all is well in the new year

-george

Tara said...

Cousin!

Awww, you see our blog! (i.e. aww, you love us! ;)

I feel both insanely cool and proud. I love the way you used the profile of that shot! Modern, appropriate, awesome - some fine design work there! I feel both insanely cool and proud (of you). And way fun to also see the cousin beta testers :) Thanks so much for sharing the link!

Come see us again any time here in the VA!

Big hugs,
Tara

Joshua Danielson said...

Awesome pics. Snow is great. Miss you guys tons already.

Abbie said...

Fun! We've already had one big snow here in Kansas - Kate loved it! Meg got cold too fast. :) Oh, the ice storm wasn't as fun as the snow. But I guess that's what I get for living here.

Katie B. said...

Remember driving around some abandoned parking lot in Ames and riding on an innertube pulled by Kurt? What were we thinking? If my girls EVER do that they will be grounded forever!