One week ago today was a very big day.
Two little girls left things behind.
One of them was planned, expected.
The other one was a complete surprise.
Last Friday was Olaiya's last day of preschool (say what? I thought we just saw pictures of her graduation? What's the deal? Yeah. They had another week of school following that. I have no idea.) Whew - the year went so fast! Four days a week since September, Olaiya got to go to school (three of four days with neighbors...let's hear it for a four family, neighborhood carpool!), sing songs, learn literacy, experience science, do show and tell, eat snack, and play amongst peers. Being part of this preschool, one that just happened to be like the neighborhood preschool, really dropped us into a friendly community that we didn't know we had, literally, right across the street and down the block. We love that we fell into meeting these families that are all within a two block radius of our house.
But wait, isn't this supposed to be about Olaiya and her closing chapter?
Oh, right. Onward and upward.
So the last day of preschool. It was a Family Fun Day of sorts, with parents and siblings, a moon bounce, friendly local firemen (talking with the students, not "doing their job"), and thank you gifts for teachers. Olaiya had made a bracelet for both of her teachers and had them wrapped up nicely for the giving. As we were walking out the door, I was putting on Naomi's jacket and she says to me, "Mommy, don't see what I have in my hand." Umm, okay, Naomi. Then I heard the telltale clink clink of little plastic handle on plastic - her paci.
"Naomi, you may not take your paci out of the house," and I snatched it out of her hand and put it on the desk, with protest-whimpering at my back.
"No! Mommy, I want to give it to Courtney's babies!"
What?
"Courtney's babies" means mother-to-Olaiya's (and therefore Naomi's - ah, the plight of the second child) friend-Kiran and her newborn twin baby boys.
"Really, Naomi? You want to be all done with your paci?"
"Yep!"
"And you want the Paci Fairy to come tonight?" (An eventual possibility we've discussed over the past six months, that when this last paci was broken/lost, that she would come.)
"Yeah!"
"You're sure?"
"Yes!"
"Okayyy..."
Now for sure she's just trying to get out of the house with her illicit soothing device, right? Well, she carried it out of the house and to the car where she put it in the car seat cup holder.
Hmm, so no attempts to use it; alright, we'll see what happens...
We got to school and I was completely wrapped up in Olaiya's last day - seeing all the moms, watching Olaiya give her teachers their gifts - and then above the din, I hear, "Naomi, did you find it on the ground?"
Eyes go off of teachers admiring their beautifully beaded bracelets and turn to see Naomi holding up her beloved paci to none other than Courtney.
Shouting and my arms half flailing in the air, I immediately interject, "NO! Big moment here, Courtney! Naomi is trying to give up her paci! She's trying to give her paci to the babies!"
Courtney quickly and sweetly switched gears from curious to coddling, showering Naomi with appreciative and encouraging words.
Were there cries of, "Paci! Paci!" when the rubber hit the road and we were putting her to bed that night?
Yes.
Did she weep and cry out when she realized the magnitude of her generous gesture?
Yes.
Did Mama leave the house at 10 pm for Target in search of Paci Fairy presents?
Yes.
Did baby girl sleep through the night?
Yes.
Did baby girl wander into our room in the morning and again lament her decision?
Yes.
Was she super stoked to come downstairs and discover a baby doll that swims, a new Princess beach towel, a beach-themed Polly Pocket, and some puffy Pony stickers? (Hey, mama was cool her having her paci in bed until she was forty-two...best $40 I've spent.)
Yes.
Several nights of rocking my baby to sleep (my baby is three! I'm definitely not complaining about getting to do that last few precious time!) and a couple of later bedtimes riddled with an awake, talkative and restless three-year-old, we have a little girl putting herself to sleep.
I wasn't ready for it. I wasn't even calling for it. But it's done. And we've got one baby girl, who despite being the tiniest Tiny Dancer at her recital, has very much become a big girl.
---
Worth watching the first 10 seconds to hear Naomi's entrance, and you know, if you like 3 year-old ballet (she's #3).
Determined to not miss a step in her long routine, you will rarely see more than the side of Olaiya's face. (Teach, why do ya gotta be off stage? Faces! We want to see faces!)
8 comments:
I'm so missing your girls right now! Love the big girl Naomi, coming into her own person and looking like SUCH a big girl! And Olaiya's long blond pony bouncing while she dances. And Papi bringing his girls roses - what a dad! And of course, the mommy who holds this all together and makes sure everyone looks fabulous!!
My coworkers daughter just had her recital with something like 4-5 expensive costumes, so count your blessings again about the wisdom of the leotard and tutu!
Love you guys! RAGBRAI this summer?
Beautiful pics, beautiful girls! Watching the recital videos reminded me of all the t-ball games with every little boy chasing the ball to one side of the ball diamond or the other. Somehow they learned to play baseball from that initial organized chaos, and someday these ladies will be quite the dancers!
Tell Naomi we're proud of her for giving her paci to the babies - such a generous big girl thing to do!
Can't wait to lay eyes on you!
K & D
i want a giiiiiiiirrrrrrlllllll!!!!!!
It was great to see both of them at the recital. Naomi's entrance is one of my favorite moments of the year so far.
I'm glad they both have fun at "dance class" and that they aren't in anything too "serious" yet. We'll see if that develops in the future, but for now they're both just really cute and loving it.
Tara baby...you paint the most awesome picture with your words and pictures! I love those baby girls!!!! Ahem...I mean, big girls. Whew! Naomi. What a stud. And what a giving heart. You've done well sister. Miss you! See you SOON!
As a lifelong dancer, I teared watching the little videos...TEARED! My first recital was at three years old too - pink and red tights and tutu to "This Little Piggy". One of my first memories actually.
LOVE it. sigh
aawww! i might need to go get a baby tutu right now for miss eva. She loves dancing (flailing) around while wathcing your girls dance, btw. :) love it!
Loved this post, Tara. You ARE doing such a good job with your minis.
Post a Comment