November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving happy

Hmm, not the picture of thankfulness you were expecting?

Right, that's more like it.

In Sunday School, Naomi made a "thankfulness crown". At school on Monday, Olaiya dressed up as a pilgrim as part of First Form's Thanksgiving Feast. And today they sported their outfits to Thanksgiving dinner at the home of neighborhood friends, the Detlefs! We met them over a year ago when our two families were two of four families living in a two block radius attending the same preschool. We did preschool carpool together all last year and now swap as "guest readers" for the kiddos so we mamas and papas can go out.

Papa Detlef is quite the cook, so I was unsure what I'd capable of contributing. A couple weeks ago I had the chance to taste a Pecan Chocolate Chip Pie. I'm not gonna lie - it was amazing. And the presence of pecan in its title told me that I could plausibly pull off bringing it to a Thanksgiving table. Yess. And Sabrina, my dear hosting friend, assured me that the thing she's always lamented about the holiday was the distinct lack of chocolate. Armed with my mama's new recipe, Kurt and I collaborated on some smashing mashed potatoes. The spread in its entirety was colorfully beautiful and entirely delicious. And mind you, this included brussels sprouts and sauerkraut! Which yes, abashedly neither of which I'd tried before 'cause a) pretty sure I've never even been offered brussels sprouts and b) the mere smell of sauerkraut heretofore has consistently left me nauseous. I disclosed my fears and inexperience and our hosts kindly shepherded me into the uncharted culinary territory. And...I liked it! I was amazed and thoroughly enjoyed chasing my mashed potatoes and kraut with cranberry sauce.

Fare aside, it was wonderful to be with our friends on Thanksgiving evening. I loved cooking with Kurt and baking with the girls. We walked to our dinner destination. The company was warm and lively. And we are thankful.

The festive feast
The mamas
Our Indian and Pilgrim girls

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I sincerely cannot remember another time I've seen a better picture than this first pic. Holy cow. I need a poster of that stuff! PS. I miss you tons. I have two days off after Christmas. Is that long enough to visit DC? :) Um, probably not. Shoot.

ModFarmhouse said...

Where else do people walk to Thanksgiving? I'm so glad you are a DC mama! You are good at it.