And it rocked my world.
First of all, the woman that reads the story for the cd was phenomenal - she did the voices of every character in the book, and they were all unique and awesome. Secondly, the story is straight up hilarious. And thirdly, it's about an "un-churched" group of hoodlums discovering the wonder and love of Christmas. And I get all teary.
Seriously, have you read this story? I totally remembered the cover of the book, with its shouty looking, haphazard angel. But the comedy and poignancy I believe were largely lost on my fifth grade self. This time around I was so moved by the character of Imogene Herdman (the cigar-smoking, straight talking, eldest sibling of the six Herdman children, who plays Mary in the church pageant), I dreamed of having another baby girl so I could name her Imogene.
Anyway.
Olaiya and Naomi tried out and both landed speaking parts. Two and one lines respectively. They attended 3 hour long practices on many Sunday afternoons. Got to hang out with amazing older kids and grown ups that loved on them big time. Created angel costumes out of a bed sheet, two pair of birthday-party butterfly wings and a bottle of shimmering gold paint. And had last week full of dress rehearsals, performances and late bed times.
The shows this weekend were amazing. The combination of a carol-led, candle-filled, precious and poignant pageant within an action and laughs laced play, packs a serious one-two punch. And the actors, big and small, delivered.
My babies were up on stage amidst the big kids no sweat. Olaiya can nearly recite the whole show verbatim. Naomi now has quite the Christmas carol repertoire. And their at home "performances" have since acquired a certain air of "we know how this works".
With it all said and done, I'm super thankful that a) this was the play of choice b) such wonderful people ran the show c) we got to have a different set of friends with us for each performance and d) we had little girls gamin' to be part of it all.
Naomi Lewis (Baby Angel Juanita) is 3 years old. She likes to play with her friends Deli and Julia, drink smoothies, ride on the scooter with her sister Olaiya and draw pictures. She would like to thank Riley and Will because she loves them. This is her first play and she would like you to clap your hands.
(line I missed) Olaiya: I can't find my halo.
Naomi: My wings are all bent.
Olaiya:...

10 comments:
SSOOOOO cute! Makes me want to watch that show again - its been years. Love your girls getting all into acting - such mature babes you have! :) Cant wait to see them/you all soon.
I also LOVE that book, but I'm old enough to remember a different cover! The girls look so grown up! See you soon!
O my gosh is this cute! I last saw a production of this play when I was in San Fran for the Christmas Damion was in Iraq. Just a little community theater production, but yes, awesome. I, too, remember the book cover!
I'm loving how unique your girls look from each other now, and different personalities to boot!
Well, you sold me on the book. I'm totally reading it. Second, what a fantastic mother are you....to have created such wonderful little people. I just love their play bios! Speaks millions. Wish I could have seen this play close up and personal. All my love to you from IA. :)
AAH!! I *loved* this book as a kid; so much so that i just bought it for our boys to read!
your little angels look adorable!
their little bios made me cry! such sweet mama (and daddy) moments.
way to be a mama who is willing to put in the hours to provide this experience for your kids. o & n are blessed. oh, you totally have my "go for it!" in having another little girl and naming her imogene. we have a 3yr old imogen at our church... ending with a jen sound. i think it's a to-die-for name.
There are no small parts, only small actors.
Congrats to the girls!
These photos are adorable. What a great memory! Wish we could have seen it.
Laura B.
YES! The best book ever! I haven't read it for a couple years, but definitely one of my favorites! And your girls look great!
Post a Comment