July 26, 2010

Feeling poolish

When folks see my pregnant belly and inquire when I'm due, they inevitably pour on the summer pregnancy pity. And I deflect with what I've maintained since we first calculated August 27:

Dude, we've got all summer at the pool. Without an infant cramping our style.

What? The baby has its own pool.

The girls and I have been hitting the city pool where we pay $4 for the three of us and it's a mile away. We have yet to go for hours on end like last summer, but even when I feel like maybe we're not making the most of our $4 because we're only going for an hour and a half, I leave so thankful that we went. Every time we go, the girls acquire a new ability.
  • Olaiya re-learns to go off the diving board.
  • Naomi swims tens of feet with her face in the water, blowing bubbles and kicking her feet.
  • Olaiya learns to dive down through my legs.
  • Naomi learns to do the same.
  • Olaiya learns to get rings from the bottom of water over her head.
  • Naomi learns to jump in and swim to mama in water over her head.
Totally worth it. It's like swimming lessons, but less expensive and no schedule! And I get to see it all. Naomi's little swim-suited tush sticking up out of the water as she "bubbles and kicks" her way to the side is my favorite. Then she turns and gives me a thumbs up. Love it. And if you've been outside, you understand it's the only acceptable location to be out of doors and burn off some energy. 'Not going to find this mama "chillin'" at the playground in 90 degrees.

At our pool, every quarter of the hour is break time. Everybody under the age of 18 has to be out of the pool. Typically we take those 15 minutes and head out the the courtyard to eat a snack. But lately, the mama has been taking advantage of my children's age and obedience and I've been swimming laps! Granted, we're talking 1-4 laps, swimming up to the girls' feet and chatting in between while they covertly consume snack crackers. But it only takes a hundred and fifty meters and this girl can tell she's done something. It's the closest thing to "working out" I've done in at least a year and it makes me feel cool.

And the pregnant lady swim apparel debate? Totally fell on a happy side of that one. I asked Kurt back in January, "Should I get a maternity suit or just put on my bikini and have it all out there?" To which he said, "Well, no matter what, it's going to be out there." To which I countered, "Yeah, but a bare pregnant belly is like a train wreck - people can't look away." So I went with a tankini - thank you Old Navy - and I've got to agree with the expecting-in-the-summer mamas who have gone before me; it may be the best I've felt in a swimsuit. Your belly is supposed to be hanging over your waistband? Dig it. Minus the whole caveat of keeping the bikini line pool-ready...peering around an immovable beach ball proves a formidable grooming ritual.

D-day is a month from tomorrow. I'm scrambling to get our house squared away but if you inquire of this afternoon's plan...it's all in the pool.

Naomi chillin'.

Olaiya getting fancy.

Courtyard break. I promise Naomi was having a good time.

There we go. Happy times.

4 comments:

ModFarmhouse said...

Are you sure you're pregnant? The courtyard picture's angle prevents you from looking the least bit pregnant, or do I need to adjust my monitor?

I would like to mention that I'm jealous of Olaiya's diving board awesomeness. Not a single Hughes kid can do the diving board yet. Not. a. one.

Kurt said...

Begin proud husband/papa bragging:

She looks good! That's my girl!

(excitable, adult, possibly misinterpretable comment warning)

I tell you what, sometimes a mama looks like she's giving the baby the minivan treatment--plenty of space and comfortable seating. My (3rd!) kid's riding around in a little sports car. A hot little sports car!

(end comment warning)

Creep anybody out?

This summer, Tara has taught our girls to swim, helped lead half a dozen days of summer camp for the neighborhood kids, reorganized our house, prepped for "baby tres", and done it all while I've been working late more frequently; she's one amazing lady. I'm a lucky man!

ModFarmhouse said...

You totally have a Shelby Cobra of a wife, Kurt. No doubt about it! Shout it from the rooftops... or blog comments... it's all good!

Abbie said...

I totally agree - pool pregnant is way easier than pool with newborn! And your suit is great! Also, I've barely talked my middle child into jumping off the edge. No nothing else. Well, lots of fun, splashing, and playing while staying cool, but nothing like swimming. Maybe next summer. :)

And, if Kurt wasn't creepy (and he wasn't) I agree with him!