So this semester it's a dress-up-in-tulle-ish-costumes-and- wear-glitter-on-our-faces type ballet class.
And I'm not knockin' it - they read a different story book each week and then learn ballet movements with literature as the context. And who doesn't love new, themed costumes every week? Or learning to chasse in order to find where the bears are? Or pretending to hold a cupcake above your head (creating graceful ballet hands) when you're doing "ballerina run"?
It's just definitely a departure from both the barefooted, movement-focused experience from the Spring and the mama's idea of dancing: high energy, rhythm-dependent, dance team and/or dance floor type moves. I'll quote Lola of Charlie and Lola: "Ballerina dancing is too floaty."
But hey, they're dancing to Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo for recital in December. Big, plush tutu, wand and all, which I know will be fun for both the baby girl and her fans. And she's got a pretty mean curtsy, so for sure it will end happily ever after.
Olaiya, in the early stages of curtsying (curtsy=plie),
dancing in the Tanya and the Red Shoes costume.
1 comment:
I, too, agree with Lola... but I have a feeling Olaiya may disagree!! I wish my trip to D.C. included a recital, but alas I will be pleased with a long post about the event.
Oh, and with a mama like Olaiya's, she has all the teacher she needs for all other types of dance.
Post a Comment