November 10, 2008

Vote in the VA


I don't know if it was the historic candidacy, or voting in a newly potential swing state, or living this close to the White House, but this election, I was excited to vote. Nearly giddy, in fact (as demonstrated by the family photo op at our polling place).

Kurt had gotten up early to vote on the way to work (stopping in at the middle school he walks behind every day headed to Metro), so I fell back to sleep, apparently with voting on the brain. I dreamed that I had found the school (a confusing, multi-entranced, multiple storied old school building), and when I wandered into the room where I thought the voting was happening, was greeted by an hors d'oeuvres, hospitality type table, as though I were giving blood instead of walking into a poll booth. I happily partook of the snack-age and headed out, where upon my arrival home, I realized I had failed to vote!

So I had a bit of voter anxiety.

This was not helped by seemingly touch-style screen that was really controlled by a dial. I checked my vote several times before hitting the big, red, VOTE button.

Warned that there would be crazy-long lines, I packed as though we'd be there for hours. And I say we because all students had Election Day off, preschoolers included! So we had coloring books, a DVD player (there'd be plug-ins, right?) and snacks. Our own snacks. With our back fully loaded, we made the two block stroll to our polling place! It felt very cool. We ran into a neighbor along the way! Turns out, mama's go at 10:30a strategy of post-commuters, pre-lunchers treated us well - no waiting!

After the three of us walked out of the booth, Olaiya said, "Mom, did she vote for Barack Obama?" That's not voter bullying, right? (I'm sure that's the technical term.)

So it was a great day. We played at the school park afterward and enjoyed the peak of the fall colors. And after putting the kids in bed, the Papi and I enjoyed some of the best take out available in our neighborhood for our own little election party.

And it was a great night. We'll let you know if we get to witness inaugural history firsthand!


Olaiya and mama playing freeze tag.


Naomi, pc (this could mean so many things: politically correct, the product of her geeky father, or in this case, pre-cut, as in hair).


Pretty leaves! (Olaiya took fallen ones home and made a red-leaves-and-masking-tape version of her blue feather headband.)

3 comments:

Abbie said...

I voted too. But I really didn't want to leave the house! Actually, Josh took the THREE kids and I was running another errand and was going to meet them at the polling place. But there were no lines and he was long gone by the time I got there. All the ladies working thought it was pretty funny he'd had the kids and I didn't!

Unknown said...

I'd just like to say that I love your striped shirt and your vest. I thought I'd be the materialistic shallow person today. Love you! You are one hot mama! Yay for voting!

Joshua Danielson said...

Hey, Lewis Clan. I want to say I'm a little jealous that the girls got stickers. I didn't get one and I even voted. Or maybe they voted and that's why they got them? That's legal, right?

CAN'T WAIT to see you guys at Christmas!

JD