I just came back downstairs from rocking little Naomi. She's a sick little puppy - goopy eyes and didn't fall asleep until 1am last night. Short aside - for some reason this evening was particularly frustrating for the mama. Should have been great - Naomi was asleep at 6:30 and then Olaiya headed in at 7:15...and Naomi woke up. Anyway, long story short, I called for reinforcements, Kurt came up, Olaiya came down, we went back up, Naomi cried, and I finally sat down in the now master bedroom glider in a huff, resigned to rocking the sad and un-sleeping Naomi. Angry thoughts flying through my head, I started to simmer down and said sorry to Naomi (for the second time tonight) for yelling. I said, "Do you forgive Mama?" Cradled, she pulled up on my neck and gave me a big "Mmmuh" on my face. And then I just sat and rocked with my sweet baby.
And here now the post I'd been working on...
I find it difficult to believe that at this age, 18 months, I thought Olaiya was totally ready to be a big sister, and would be in six months! Was I on crack? Naomi is just a baby! With the little baby cheeks, the little baby walk-Frankenstein-run, and her little baby words. Olaiya was pretty precocious, but as I'm only now realizing, maybe in a circus monkey sort of way? She knew all of her animals with their noises in English, Spanish and Sign, the same with her body parts in language and location, and was just my little shopping and socialite gal. I should go back and look at how many words she had at this point - Naomi's been coming on strong in the past 2-3 weeks. Maybe it's the house. Three of her first dozen or so words are Dora, Cakey (anything Strawberry Shortcake), and 'Rella (how she refers to all princesses). Can you tell she has an older sister, a girly older sister?
A mama gets to see and hear their darling's little utterings in context (not in a crudely spelled, randomly organized list). But my question to you (for mere entertainment and keep-the-people-up-to-date purposes) is, how fluent is your baby talk? Yes, some are straightforward, but here are the hints: after the alphabetical - the actual words in alphabetical order - I kept a few words together categorically and if you can figure it out, two words are en español. Use a scratch sheet of paper, post a comment or ignore all together!
ahbĕ
baby
bă-pă
boo
bye
car
coh
dada
fah
fauer
gago
hi
wammie
mama
no
Ya-ya
'sy
owie
fone
poo
pa'i
shu
shaua
sĭ'wy
sawry
sar
s'roller
wee
teee
tanku
uh oh
up
wa-wa
yeah
ucky
eye
noh
toh
jew
muh
ceri
chees
This has been good for me! Here I thought Naomi only had a "dozen" or so words and this list (which kept growing as I actually paid attention) is closer to fifty! Yay for Naomi! (The translations can be found in a comment to our first post on blogger.)
2 comments:
what a riot! that actually was good practice - how quickly the 'babytalk' fades; i thought i was far more fluent; ya know, like riding a bike - you never lose it....but apparently quite untrue. i had all but lost it!
Yay for babies! I think I got quite a few right, but tis true that it fades. That's why my mom told me to write everything down -- oops! Thanks for sharing little Naomi with us.
Post a Comment