Previously, there was an unsafe-for-children, tall, boxy deck off the back of our addition (sun room).
Now it looks like this. (And for good measure, here's a shot from the alley and one from the sun room door.)
I'm wanting as level and open of a back yard as possible. The dimensions are 16'wx30'L. The addition is 9'W. Currently there's lots of landscaping, but we'd like to move in the direction of less brick walkway and ivy and just a shaded yard of grass. Recently I saw a picture of a deck that was really more terraced stairs than deck. The was about a 3'-5' deck, the full width of the back of the house (ours would be the width of the addition...note stairs down to basement far left) followed by several stairs that were also the full width of the house. I liked the idea because it it was low profile (not much railing) and seemed to seamlessly connect the house to the yard. Before I found out that by code we have to have a 3x3' landing at the door, then stairs, I had wanted to just have stairs from the door down to a flagstone patio. Anyway, I'd love to hear what you all think, if you have a moment to ponder!
6 comments:
I think your idea sounds fabulous! If it were my yard, I would make the platform part just big enough for a little table and chairs or a couple of lounge chairs, but that sounds bigger than what you want. I really like the idea of the stairs from the platform being as wide as the platform with no railing. I am so jealous! Your little yard has so much potential! You and the girls can have so much fun planning and planting next spring!
Hmm...I wish I had a talent for design, but I don't. But given your dimensions, I think it's a good call to keep the deck pretty minimalistic. I'm a fan of flagstone patios with shaded grass. I think I'd focus on the yard and keep the patio simple.
As far as materials go, I'm a fan of composite decking. Haven't priced it or anything, but I think it's nice to recycle those grocery bags and not to have to worry much about maintenance. I think they're pretty easy to install and space as well, considering your limited time frame. Though, if you're doing a small deck, I'm not sure it'd be worth it to use composites. I dunno.
Either way, it looks like it'll be a fun week. Have a great time!
Yeah, I gotta say I'm not a fan of the brick and the current landscaping. It seems a bit busy, and doesn't seem to give the girls much playing area. I like the open deck idea, and definitely a better grassy area. Of course, I'm a design idiot, so mayhaps I'll have the wife comment at a later time. She's sleeping soundly, while I got woken up by the cat some two hours ago.
Scot's coming today! And Mom & Dad tomorrow!
I am totally down with the extra wide and deep steps idea. No railing sounds sleek and sharp to me. I'm all about grass for the girls, so I'd pull up whatever brick is not needed. My parents used composite for their deck and LOVE it!
You should ask Jamie what he thinks--he is the man when it comes to projects!! Composite decking is awesome and low maintenance so I would at least vote for that!! PS-I'm a fellow blogger now. If you didn't get our email, drop me a line so I can get you the site!
Laura Kain
Post a Comment